Friday, April 11, 2014

Lent

My family never participated in the observance of Lent. It wasn't part of our religion, but a lot of my friends honored it in different ways. I ate chocolate, used the internet and snacked on chips while my classmates abstained. Nowadays, I get to see the Catholic Lent traditions as practiced by the family that I nanny for. They are abstaining from meat for several weeks, which means that the kids have been eating a bit differently. Both four-year-old Merlin and six-year-old Peter Pan are pretty picky kid eaters. They would be perfectly happy living off of a diet of chicken nuggets, macaroni and ramen soup. Recently, though, they have both been branching out into new options, including other types of meat and fish. Lent has kind of put a halt to their food exploration, so they have been eating primarily shrimp (shrimpies as Merlin says), which just ain't cuttin' it anymore for Peter Pan. My six-year-old friend goes to a catholic school where he is assigned spelling words each week. And the irony of all ironies is in his spelling homework for this week:



Yep, Bacon! This is his depiction of the bacon that he wants to eat as soon as Easter hits! So, if you aren't participating in Lent, eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment