Saturday, September 22, 2012

Country Moments

My Grandmother's House in North Carolina

I spent the past week and half visiting family in Georgia and North Carolina, which meant a huge cousin reunion and so many adorable kidisms that I'm slightly overwhelmed! My mom, younger brother, older brother and his family and I all drove up to North Carolina for a mega birthday party/reunion for my Grandma. My brother has three boys and a daughter and my cousin in North Carolina has a son and daughter whose ages match up perfectly with their cousins, or first cousins once removed, I think... But since I don't have kids and my other brother is only 16, they aren't going to have any real cousins anytime soon, so it works. But, anyways...

My family in North Carolina live in a very rural area. I've had several instances of culture shock over the years, especially going to the stores and having random people I've never met come up to me and recount personal details of my life, which happened this time. But the best part of it all is the space and seeing the kids run in and out of the old screen door of my grandma's house and experience the joy of a late country summer. They play next to soy bean fields and dance around ant hills, and in between those sweet cousin-filled memories, they stop by me and say, "I love you, Nay."

No comments:

Post a Comment